Now here we’re bestowing a blessing for all the bookworms by presenting a list of libraries in Udaipur.
Books are said to be a man’s best pal, one can gain infinite knowledge from books. A book not only educates a being, but also serves as the best hobby, in one’s free time book reading is said to be the most beneficial thing to do.
A library is best considered to be a bank of books belonging to distinct categories; whether it is fiction, non-fiction, literary, magazines, novels, encyclopedias, kids’ book, and more.
One can read books in the library itself, or get them issue by following book issue procedure. It may vary in each library.
We’ve divided the libraries in Udaipur in two lists: Public Libraries & Private Libraries.
Public Libraries in Udaipur
Saraswati Bhawan Library: Gulab Bagh
It is considered as one of the oldest public libraries in Udaipur, which was initially a museum created in 1887 by Maharana Fateh Singh known as Victoria Hall Museum. The museum was later shifted in City Palace Campus and was named as Pratap Museum. Saraswati Bhawan Library contains around 32000 books that includes 26215 in RRLF section & 3800 books in Kids Section. One has to get registered in the library itself that provides them a permission of 14 days to access the books in the library.
- Address: Inside Gulab Bagh, Udaipur
- Timings: 11am to 6pm (Closed on Tuesdays)
Named after Pandit Hriday Nath Kunzru the Kunzru Library was opened on 7th October 1973. It is situated inside Seva Mandir and Mr. Mohan Singh Mehta was the founder of this public library. Around 100 people visit the library each day, there are almost 10,000 books in the library including various magazines and journals. Book readers belonging to distinct age groups connect in this library over their common interest of reading.
- Address: Seva Mandir, Fatehpura, Udaipur
- Timings: 10am to 8pm (Sunday Closed)
Jagdish Chowk Library
It is the second oldest library of Udaipur which was inaugurated in 1955, this library before 1955 was located in Badhbujha Ghati Udaipur, and at that time it was the haveli of Asind Rao which was also used as a court. There are around 70,000 books in this public library, which makes it the library in Udaipur with most number of books. It is also Rajasthan’s biggest Library and first digital (computerized) public library. Several successful engineers, doctors, RAS, accountants, IPS officers have spent their valuable time in this library reading and learning from the books.
- Address: 4, City Palace Rd, Old City, Udaipur, Rajasthan 31300
- Timings: 12pm to 6pm (Sunday Closed)
Aalim Charitable Trust
Another Public Library in Udaipur, it is a free library, one has to fill in a form and attach an ID proof along with it for a free year book pass. Apart from the books it also has computers for research work and online study material.
- Address: 152, Chohtta Chetak Rd, Loha Bazar, Hathipole, Loha Bazar, Chamanpura, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001
- Timings: 10am to 8pm (Sunday Closed)
Private Libraries in Udaipur
Veena Vadini Pustakalay
- Address: Aakar Complex, University Rd, Keshav Nagar, Ayad, Pahada, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001
- Timings: 8am to 8pm
- Phone: 094613 84835
Suchana Kendra Library
- Address: 22, Saheli Marg, Madhuban, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001
- Timings: 10:30am to 7pm (Sunday Closed)
Library of Geology Department
- Address: G-3, Saraswati Marg, Govindpura, Subhash Nagar, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001
- Timings: 10:30am to 5pm (Sunday Closed)
- Address: Ganapati Nagar, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001
- Timings: 10:30am to 8pm (Sunday Closed)
- Address: 56, Rd Number 2, Subhash Nagar, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001
- Phone: 095213 14152
Have we missed any other libraries in Udaipur in the list above? Tell us now in the comments…
Don’t forget to like, share, and subscribe to My Udaipur City before heading towards your choice of library in Udaipur.
Send in your comments, questions, opinions, suggestions, compliments, complaints, or any other words of wisdom to us by leaving them in the comment section below.
Keep reading books, and surely our blogs!