India is a country stuffed with a variety of cultures, languages, and colors. It is so colorful that even some cities in the country are nicknamed after specific colors. The three renowned tourist color-coded cities of India come from the royalty rich state of Rajasthan namely, the Pink city of Jaipur, the Blue city of Jodhpur and the Golden city of Jaisalmer and all of these cities are given their particular color codes for their respective specific reasons.
But apart from these three cities, Rajasthan is home to another color-coded city which is widely known amongst tourists for its graceful lakes, aesthetic architecture and tranquil nature. The city is more popularly known with other relatively prominent nicknames like “The City of Lakes”, “Venice of the East” and “Kashmir of Rajasthan”. Yes, you guessed it right, we’re talking about the exhilaratingly angelic city of Udaipur which is also called “The White City of India”.
Why is Udaipur called the White City of India?
- Nicknames for anything are always picked from peculiar distinguishable features; like the blue houses of Jodhpur which gave the city its nickname of “The Blue City” and the golden illuminating desert sand of Jaisalmer which titled the city as “The Golden City”.
- Udaipur got its nickname of “The White City” mostly inspired by its Rajputi styled forts and palaces which are adorned in white marble.
- The title of ‘White City’ to Udaipur is not exclusive, rather it can be traced way back in history when the former kings and rulers decided to build various palaces ideally in white marble.
- These white palaces include Lake Palace, Jag Mandir, etc. but the center of attraction amongst all these palaces is the very own City Palace of Udaipur which is located in the center of the city.
- Apart from these palaces, if you get to catch an ariel view of the city, the huge sea of white houses near the renowned palaces, justifies the title adorned to Udaipur as ‘The White City Of India’.
Why you must consider Udaipur as your next travel destination?
Call it the Venice of East, the City of Lakes, the Kashmir of Rajasthan or the White City of India, Udaipur justifies all of its titles but you can not unless you experience it for yourself. The city lures tourists from all around the world for all the right reasons.
Here is a list of reasons why you should consider Udaipur as your next getaway destination:
- The Graceful Lakes and Ghats of Udaipur
It is ludicrous to talk about Udaipur and not talk about its plush lakes and aesthetically styled ghats. Udaipur is bejeweled with seven charismatic lakes. While each lake has its unique significance, the two most famous ones are Fateh Sagar Lake and Pichola Lake.
Though there are several ways to enjoy these lakes, the most authentic and serene experience is delivered by the ghats around Pichola Lake which don’t ask you to do more than just being in the moment. If you can do just that, the ghats are always open for you to sit there with your legs dipped in the water watching the golden sun illuminating the lake water as it goes down.
- Meritorious Heritage
Udaipur is a land of the royal Rajputi kings with a history that dates back to the 1560s. It houses numerous eye-popping grandiose palaces and Havelis like the City Palace, Monsoon Palace, Lake Palace, etc. The City Palace of Udaipur is the second largest royal palace in the country. As you walk within these palace walls, the history unfolds itself with every step and takes you way back in time. The heritage experience of the city persists with the evening light and sound show at City Palace, ‘Dharohar’ folk dance show at Bagore Ki Haveli, panoramic birds-eye view of the city from the Monsoon Palace and we’ll leave the rest for the sake of exploration. Stay in the moment and you’ll find it!
- Enchanting Weather
One of the reasons why Udaipur is a renowned tourist location is because of its delightful weather. Udaipur is blessed with a moderate temperature, i.e., it’s never too hot or too cold. So it doesn’t matter what time of the year you visit, the city takes good care of you and makes sure that you leave with pleasant and peaceful memories. However, Udaipur showcases its true charm during monsoon when the lakes are filled to their brims, the sky is full of dense clouds that magnificently crowns the surrounding Aravali ranges and the cold winds put up a ballet show.
- City of Romance
Over the recent years, the city has safeguarded itself another unofficial title of the most romantic city of India. With all the alluring scenery and larger than life lakeside hotels, Udaipur is the perfect destination for a romantic date or getaway. So if you’re planning to spend some quality time with your better half, you know where to be.
Now you know why Udaipur is called The White City of India and what are you missing on by not being here.
Don’t forget to like, share and subscribe to My Udaipur City. Comment below your views, opinions, queries, or your experience in Udaipur.