Gangaur Ghat is a prime location of Udaipur that is situated in the heart of the city; streaming through the old veins of the old city area. Gangaur Ghat serves itself for various purposes including the convenience of locals, serenity to tourists and a hanging spot to the young blood of Udaipur.
Also Read: Ambrai Ghat Udaipur
Gangaur Ghat Udaipur
- Gangaur Ghat is considered as one of the main ghats of Udaipur.
- It is situated on the banks of Lake Pichola in the old city near Bagore ki Haveli.
- We recommend you to take a two-wheeler or walk to access the location, as the roads in the old city are a bit congested and can make your four-wheeler create a hassle on the scene.
- It is a treat location for all the photo capturing maniacs, as one can capture the beauty of old city in one frame.
- Also the sunset and sunrise from the Ghat is heavenly.
- No proper seating is established on the Ghat, but one can make themselves comfortable on the stairs installed on the Ghat that take you to the water.
- Also the Ghat might be a little crowded in the morning with locals washing and bathing in the lake.
- Recommended time to visit is at the time of Sunset and later at night.
- The Ghat remains crowded during festivals like Gangaur Festival and Jal-Jhulni Ekadashi.
- Also the ghat serves a vital role in other festivals like Navratri and Ganesh Chathurthi, as the idols are immersed in the Lake from this particular ghat.
- Near the Ghat resides Bagore Ki Haveli that holds a historic significance and must be visited for experiencing the culture of Rajasthan.
- You can catch a glimpse of the Ghat in the movies like Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani and Ram Leela.
- Gangaur Ghat received its name from the famous festival of Mewar: Gangaur Festival.
- In the Gangaur Festival, the idols of Gan (Lord Shiva) and Gauri (Goddess Parvati) are preached for few days, and on the last day of Gangaur, these idols are taken to the Gangaur Ghat with a huge procession.
- Women get all dressed up with traditional costumes and jewelry, and henna on their hands and head to the Ghat for the pooja and the procession of the idols.
- The idols are loaded on boats from the ghat and taken to the main boat of Gangaur in the lake for future customs.
Jal Jhulni Ekadashi
- Another festival in which Gangaur Ghat plays a vital role in its customs.
- The idols of Bal Gopal (Lord Krishna in his child form), from various parts of Udaipur are headed towards Gangaur Ghat, with colorful processions.
- All the processions are concluded at the ghat where the idols of Bal Gopal are taken in the water of Lake Pichola and then the locals swing those idols in the water itself.
- The Festival is considered to seek blessings of Lord Krishna.
Don’t forget to like, share and subscribe to My Udaipur City. Express us your love for Gangaur Ghat Udaipur or any views and opinions in the comment section below. Also you can share come classic pictures of our Lake City with us, we’d love to feature them.