Saas Bahu Temple is an ancient shrine built in the 10th century by King Mahipala of Kachchhwaha Dynasty; the temple is situated at a distance of 23km from Udaipur at Nagda Village (Rajasthan). This shrine is dedicated to Lord Vishnu – the one with multiple hands; hence the original name of the temple is Sahastra-Bahu (with the same meaning-multiple hands).
Saas Bahu Temple Udaipur
- It is believed that King Mahipala’s daughter-in-law was a follower and believer of Lord Shiva and his wife was a believer of Lord Vishnu.
- Therefore, the king of Kachchhwaha Dynasty decided to build two temples adjacent to each other of each lord.
- As these temples were adjacent, and built for a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law therefore it was called Saas Bahu Temple. Saas stands for mother-in-law in Hindi and Bahu means daughter-in-law.
- The fascinating ancient architecture can be adored in the temple.
Structure of the Saas Bahu Temple
- There are two main temples in the premises – Bahu is the smaller temple and Saas the large one.
- Bahu Temple is surrounded by 5 other shrines and the Saas temple is surrounded by 10 small shrines.
- The Saas temple owns an archway in the front space, it is said that on important occasions the idol of Lord Vishnu was placed in and swung.
- The temple premises has 3 doors from 3 different directions and in the 4th direction lies a room that usually remains shut for tourists.
- On the entrance door you can spot the idols of Goddess Saraswati, Lord Bhramha and Lord Vishnu.
- The vast campus of the Saas-Bahu temple is stretched across 22 metres in breadth and 32 metres of land in length.
- One can spot the beautiful carvings dated back to the 10th century of the walls of the temple.
- As this temple was built a long time ago, only the partial remains are left to admire but still one can enjoy the exquisite art of the construction of these temples.
- The Archaeological Survey of India’s list of historical monuments bears the name of this amusing temple as well.
Timings of the Saas Bahu Temple
- From 5:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- From 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Open all days of the week.
There is absolutely no entry fee for visiting this exquisite shrine.
How to reach Saas Bahu Temple?
One can take a bus or cab from Udaipur city to Nagda.
Distance from Udaipur: 23km
Distance from Nathdwara: 30km
Distance from Eklinji Temple: 2.7km
- Plan a trip to the ancient Eklinji Temple and visit the Saas Bahu Temple and Vaishnavite shrine in Nathdwara on the same day.
- You can plan to stay in Nathdwara or any resort near the Saas Bahu and Eklinji Temple.
- Carry your cameras along for picturesque captures as the site is situated near a lake amidst the charm of nature.
- Make sure you co-ordinate the timings of each temple before visiting.
Don’t Forget to like, share and subscribe to My Udaipur City; Send in your queries, suggestions and views in the comment section below. Also let us know ‘how helpful this article was to you?’ and your experience at the Saas Bahu Temple via comments.